ROG XBOX ALLY STORAGE UPGRADE
This has to be one of the most daunting tasks I've undertaken, I've built PCs before, I've written software before, taught myself how to create a website a few years ago now (not hosted, just wanted to see if I could learn) and I even started this blog but replacing the 512GB NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) drive with a 2TB NVMe drive seems a bit of a scary undertaking, in my post about the ROG XBox Ally I did mention that I thought the 512GB drive was way too small for such a heavy duty handheld and that it would probably need upgrading, well today is that day.I had previously looked at storage options with regards to various NVMe form factors, storage capacities and cost, I wanted more storage space but didn't want to spend a fortune and as RAM prices had started to soar so too had storage prices so a 4TB card was probably out of the question and I would settle for a 2TB card which seemed a nice step up from the 512GB without breaking the bank.I knew there were other considerations to take into account like read/write speed and just exactly which form factor did I need (2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, 22110)? I looked up the specs for the ROG XBox Ally for a bit of information and it seems I now have the answers I need, the ROG XBox Ally I have contains a M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen 4 SSD, so I now know I need a 2280 form factor, 2TB with a read speed of approx 7200 (the original 512GB installed read speed is 4,900 MB/s) and I wanted this for as cheap as possible but good quality, not too much to ask.I most definitely wasn't going to change the drive without a little research in advance, so YouTube here I come, other people must have done this replacement so why can't I. I did a search for “rog xbox ally ssd replacement” and surprisingly there were quite a few videos to choose from.So before I take the ROG XBox Ally apart there are a couple of things I need to do, firstly take out the microSD card and place to one side, then make sure the battery is less than 25%, unfortunately this may take a little time, my ROG XBox Ally may have been sat on the coffee table for about 1 week but it has managed to keep quite the charge 98% so the battery needs draining a little.The battery is now drained, after a bit of a game playing session, so below is a list bullet points of the things I need, some that are handy to have and a couple of things that are essential:
- ROG XBox Ally.
- Acer FA200 2TB PCIe Gen 4 M.2.
- Freshly purchased STREBITO Electric Screwdriver Set, 67 in 1 (contains screwdriver and prying tool).
- USB-C lead.
- MicroSD card (not used for the upgrade but handy none the less).
- Time and patience (essential).
So I took it apart as the video showed, removing the screws, taking off the backplate and I had to take out the battery, as the SSD is partially under the battery, and went right ahead a changed out the SSD, replaced the battery and closed the backplate and screwed it back on, more straight forward than I had originally thought it would be. Then came the software install which I was more worried about than taking the ROG XBox Ally apart.I now have to use cloud recovery and I do this by going into the bios and advanced menu this is not something I have ever had to do before, using a combination of the YouTube video and my phones camera so that I could see what was on the ROG XBox Ally display. This was a bit more bumpy than the dismantling. The first time I tried it didn't download the recovery software, the second time I tried it downloaded the cloud recovery software and even though I was plugged into the mains my console would restart so I thought I'd leave it plugged in overnight to get the battery to charge.It is now the following day and it still won't boot, why? The smart Alec I live with says “did you disconnect the battery when you took it apart?” and the answer “yes” followed quickly by saying to myself “did you connect it again before putting it back together?” OK, let's take it apart again and see, and, yes, I forgot to reconnect the battery, so I reconnect and close up. Now let's try going into the bios again and see what happens.So, starting from scratch I seem to be getting somewhere, the cloud recovery software has downloaded and rather than shutdown there is now a progress requester, so it seems to be doing something, I just now wait and see. After some time, approximately 75 minutes, numerous restarts and a lot of patience and I now have a fully working ROG XBox Ally to setup, Windows setup that is and once done, approximately another 75 minutes later and I'm back into the XBox dashboard.Now the process of downloading and installing some games and I'm now back where I started but with a 2TB drive installed.Would I recommend this procedure?For a handheld with this amount of power and all the other specs as listed in my ROG XBox Ally post the 512GB storage it shipped with is definitely too little and the upgrade is definitely worth the time, patience and a little investment in a larger drive.How did I find the process?It was rather daunting but I felt it was definitely needed so I went straight ahead and literally dived in and hoped for the best. Apart from the battery, my stupidity, the process went well.Follow and comment belowMichael

No comments:
Post a Comment